WHY GASTRONOMY AND CULINARY ARTS AT VUM?
Gastronomy and Culinary Arts and Hospitality and Culinary Arts Bachelor’s Degree Programmes at Varna University of Management at present are the only ones accredited in Eastern Europe that allow acquisition of higher education in the field of hospitality and culinary arts, combining theoretical and practical training.
The educational programme is fully delivered in English and features enhanced practical training, research elements and innovative approach to culinary arts.
Students acquire important theoretical knowledge in accounting, pricing, marketing, business communications, human resources management and more, studying more specialized modules such as culinary arts technology, innovation and creativity in gastronomy and culinary arts, international F&B management, special event management as well.
Their practical training takes place in the professional environment of the Culinary Arts Institute at VUM under the guidance of foreign and Bulgarian chef instructors with extensive practical experience in premium-class restaurants in Europe, Asia, North and Latin America.
In the course of their studies, students undertake practical internships of up to 12 months. Thanks to the extensive and sophisticated network of active international partners of VUM, our students have the opportunity to work with some of the best chefs in the world, to gain valuable experience into high-class restaurants and to work in Michelin starred ones. Thus, they get a real opportunity to create contacts, gain skills and experience in a real environment and lay the foundations for their future successful realization.
The courses are taught entirely in English. Classes are small and encourage crosscultural dialogue and interpersonal connections.
Gastronomy and Culinary Arts is a full-time programme. Classes are scheduled from Monday to Saturday combining theory and intensive practical training in the modern facilities of Culinary Arts Institute at VUM.
• Fundamentals of the Kitchen and Culinary Arts (10 ECTS)
• Food Safety and Hygiene (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Accounting (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Management (5 ECTS)
• Commodities and Nutrition (5 ECTS)
• Kitchen Skills Laboratory 1: Basic Culinary Skills (5 ECTS)
• Information Technologies (5 ECTS)
• Marketing and Business Environment (10 ECTS)
• English (5 ECTS)
• Second foreign language (5 ECTS)
• Internship I / Culinary Internship Placement 1 (10 ECTS)
• Human resource management (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to hospitality and tourism (10 ECTS)
• Food Cost and Pricing (5 ECTS)
• Kitchen Skills Laboratory 2: Event Management and Implementation (5 ECTS)
• Entrepreneurship and project management (5 ECTS)
• F&B Operations Management (5 ECTS)
• Research and Statistics (5 ECTS)
• English (5 ECTS)
• Second foreign language (5 ECTS)
• Internship II/ Culinary Internship Placement 2 (10 ECTS)
• Innovation and Creativity in Hospitality and Culinary Arts (10 ECTS)
• Strategic management (10 ECTS)
• International F&B management (10 ECTS)
• Conferences, exhibitions and corporate events (10 ECTS)
• Diploma project (10 ECTS)
• Diploma seminar
• F&B Software (Point-of-sale) (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Molecular Kitchen Techniques and Tendencies (5 ECTS)
• The World of Coffee and Tea (5 ECTS)
• Current issues in the F&B industry (5 ECTS)
• Employability (5 ECTS)
• Tourism Intermediaries (5 ECTS)
• Finance (5 ECTS)
• Branding in the F&B industry (5 ECTS)
• Digital Consumer Experience in Hospitality and Culinary Arts (5 ECTS)
*The elective modules and the second foreign language module are offered when requested by a certain number of students.
• Agrotourism (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Agribusiness (5 ECTS)
• E-Business in the Agrarian Sector (5 ECTS)
• Crop Production (5 ECTS)
• Management Consulting in Agribusiness (5 ECTS)
• Computer Networks (5 ECTS)
• Business Applications (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Multimedia Applications and Internet (5 ECTS)
• Robonomics (5 ECTS)
• Additional foreign language (5 ECTS)
• Underwater Cultural Heritage (5 ECTS)
• Ethnology (5 ECTS)
• Folklore (5 ECTS)
• Marine Biology (5 ECTS)
• Морска биология (5 ECTS)
There are many benefits of studying in Gastronomy and Culinary Arts Programme and the most significant one is the numerous career opportunities, both in Bulgaria and abroad.
An important advantage of studying in the Culinary Arts Institute at VUM is the opportunity our students to join the teams of some of the best restaurants in the world. We believe that working with world-famous and recognized chefs in Michelin-starred restaurants is the best way not only for professional growth but also for creating useful business contacts.
VUM`s graduates find successful realization within all the sectors of the hospitality and tourism industry. By completing the Gastronomy and Culinary Arts Programme they are practically prepared for professional and career development as executive chefs, sous chefs, pastry chefs, restaurant managers, F&B managers, sommeliers, business consultants and entrepreneurs in the fields of gastronomy and culinary arts and more.
At VUM we prepare our students for the highly competitive global labour market and provide them with practical advice and expertise. VUM maintains excellent contacts with business partners in Bulgaria, Europe, the USA, and more, thanks to which our graduates have the opportunity to spend up their practical training and to successfully start their career in various partner institutions and organizations all over the world.