WHY CULINARY SCIENCE AT VUM?
Culinary Science is an innovative educational programme that combines a scientific approach with practical skills and provides knowledge and competencies in three areas - food science and technology, culinary arts and business skills. This is a unique programme for the Bulgarian and European market that provides scientific knowledge with a focus on culinary processes.
Students are introduced to topics related to chemistry, physics and microbiology of food, technology of culinary processes, economics and marketing in the restaurant and food industry. Future culinary technologists will combine hands-on experience in the kitchen with food science and technology to create new dishes and tasting experiences.
The Culinary Science Programme will give you an in-depth knowledge of food and culinary processes. It will help you create new products and cooking techniques, develop your senses and give you the knowledge to work with the latest technologies and cooking techniques. The training is provided by experienced Chefs and scientists in various fields of chemistry, biology, economics, management, tourism and hospitality.
The partnership with world-renowned associations, industry organizations and academic institutions is a guarantee for the quality of education, as well as the professional success and employability of the future graduates.
The main highlights of the Programme are:
- Understanding the science behind the food and the culinary processes
- Opportunity to apply food chemistry, physics and microbiology for designing innovative and creative food products and dishes
- Experimental study of specific methods for preparation, processing, and storage of food.
- Opportunity to develop culinary and pastry skills by learning modern cooking techniques
- Detailed knowledge of the functionality of food ingredients, including their impact on consumers’ health and well-being
- Usage of modern methods and techniques to create new foods, beverages, and foods such as molecular cuisine, Nano cuisine, fermentation, vacuum cooking, temperature-controlled cooking, dehydration, etc.
- Development of business, organizational and entrepreneurial skills
- Opportunity for embarking in independent food-related research
- Real world-experience through paid internships in a renowned company within the hospitality or food industries
- Networking and access to prestigious organizations, numerous resources, competitions and study opportunities.
VUM has an extensive and sophisticated network of more than 200 active international partners, where our students can carry out their obligatory practical training. Thus, they get a real opportunity to create contacts, gain skills and experience in a real environment and lay the foundations for their future successful business realization.
Culinary Science is a full-time programme.
• Applied Mathematics (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry (5 ECTS)
• Food Chemistry and Analysis (5 ECTS)
• Food Microbiology (5 ECTS)
• Computer Sciences (5 ECTS)
• Research Methods and Statistics (5 ECTS)
• Technical mechanics and engineering (5 ECTS)
• Modern equipment and design of the culinary production (5 ECTS)
• Methods and automation of the scientific research (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Food Technology (5 ECTS)
• Basic Nutrition (5 ECTS)
• English Language (5 ECTS)
• Summer Internship I (10 ECTS)
• Hygiene and Food Safety (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Culinology® (5 ECTS)
• Food Sensory Analysis (5 ECTS)
• Technology of Culinary Arts (5 ECTS)
• Regional and International Cuisines (5 ECTS)
• Animal foods technology (5 ECTS)
• Fruits and vegetables technology (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to Pastry and Bakery (5 ECTS)
• Advanced Culinary Arts (5 ECTS)
• English Language
• Summer Internship II (10 ECTS)
• Food product development in culinary arts (5 ECTS)
• Marketing and business environment (5 ECTS)
• Accounting and price strategies in the culinary sector (5 ECTS)
• Introduction to tourism and hospitality (5 ECTS)
• Operations management in the F&B sector (5 ECTS)
• Development and implementation of new food products (5 ECTS)
• Innovations and creativity in the culinary sector (5 ECTS)
• Entrepreneurship (5 ECTS)
• Graduation project/ Thesis (10 ECTS)
• Graduation seminar
• Food Anthropology (5 ECTS)
• Design and Technology of Pastry (5 ECTS)
• Design and Technology of Bakery (5 ECTS)
• Events management (5 ECTS)
• Competitiveness of the restaurant companies (5 ECTS)
• Catering (5 ECTS)
• On-line commerce in the culinary sector (5 ECTS)
• Consumer behavior in multi-cultural environment (5 ECTS)
• Human Resource Management in the Culinary sector (5 ECTS)
• Career Development (5 ECTS)
• Social Entrepreneurship (5 ECTS)
• Sustainability in the Culinary sector (5 ECTS)
• Second Foreign Language (5 ECTS)
• Marine Biology (5 ECTS)
* The elective modules are offered when requested by a certain number of students.
There are many benefits of studying in the Culinary Science Programme and the most significant one is the numerous career opportunities, both in Bulgaria and abroad.
There is a growing demand for professionals with in-depth knowledge and practical skills in the culinary science. Graduates of the Programme can occupy managerial and expert positions within the Food, Culinary, and Hospitality sector or work for research, educational and scientific institutions. They can become research chefs or food manufacture, take advisory positions on food and nutrition, develop new products, dishes, and menus, manage food businesses individually or in teams, including launching their own companies, and participate in the widespread promotion of the culinary industry through media, press releases and educative initiatives. Some of the possible career paths are be within:
- Food production, management and marketing
- Restaurant business, catering and events management
- Quality assurance and food safety
- Culinary education and training
- Research and new food product development
At VUM we prepare our students for the highly competitive global labour market and provide them with practical advice and expertise. VUM maintains excellent contacts with business partners in Bulgaria, Europe, the USA, and more, thanks to which our graduates have the opportunity to have their practical training and to successfully start their career in various partner institutions and organizations all over the world.