Lecturer in the following programmes: IHM, ITM & MSc IHTM
Dr. Maya Ivanova is an Associate Professor in Tourism and Hospitality in Varna University of Management and certified IATA/UFTAA instructor. She serves as Editorial assistant of the European Journal of Tourism Research and has over 20 publications on hotel chains, air transport, destination management, sustainability, sharing economy. Her interests include tour operations, aviation, hotel chains and hotel management. With more than 10 years of professional experience as a tour operator, Dr. Ivanova successfully trains industry professionals in Management and Marketing of travel agencies, Customer Service in travel agencies, Event Management, Hotel Marketing. In 2015 she was a lecturer at the largest event for tourism professionals in Bulgaria – Travel Academy.
Together with Prof. Stanislav Ivanov and Associate Prof. Vincent Magnini from Virginia Tech University she edited the Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management.
Tour operator and agency activities, Hotels’ chain, air transportation, hotel marketing, digital marketing, rural tourism, sharing economy
Hotel Operations Management
International Hotels Development and Management
Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism
- Ivanova, Maya G., (2010) Potential of Bulgarian Accommodation Establishments to Join Hotel Chains (June 25, 2010). Proceedings of the Development Alternatives for Contemporary Tourism Conference, University of Economics-Varna, Bulgaria, 363-373
Иванова, Мая (2010) Изследване на заведенията за пребиваване в българия с потенциал да бъдат присъединени към хотелски вериги Сборник доклади от научна конференция “Алтернативи за развитие на съвременния туризъм” в ИУ-Варна, 25 юни 2010, Варна: Наука и икономика, Икономически университет-Варна, 363-373
- Ivanov, S., M. Dimitrova, M. Ivanova (2010) Teaching entrepreneurship in tourism and hospitality undergraduate programmes. Proceedings of the Conference on Entrepreneurship “Management of Innovations”, 03-05.07.2010, Varna, Bulgaria, pp. 77-87
- Ivanova, M.G. (2011). Marketing challenges faces by newly affiliated hotels. Proceedings of Second International Scientific Conference for PhD Candidates on “Economics, Management and Tourism”, Duni resort, Bulgaria, 2011, 06-08 May, pp 427-432
- Ivanova, M.G. (2011) Hotel chains influence on local tourist industry. Proceeding of Young Scientists Conference at University of Economics-Varna, 09 May 2011, Varna, Bulgaria, 288-297
Иванова, М. (2011) Влияние на хотелските вериги върху местната туристическа индустрия. Сборник доклади от Конференция на младите научни работници, Икономически Университет-Варна, 09 май 2011, 288-297
- Ivanova, M. G. (2011). Stakeholder model of hotel chains: a conceptual framework. In Hanbabaeva, H. N., Hristova, T. B. & Kurbanova, A. M. (eds.) Proceedings of the “Strategic development of tourism and recreation” International conference.Mahachkala, Russia, September 2011, pp. 45-49.
- Ivanov, S. and Ivanova, (2011). Triple bottom line analysis of potential sport tourism impacts on local communities – a review. Proceedings of the Black Sea Tourism Forum “Sport tourism – Possibilities to extend the tourist season”, 29-30.09.2011, Varna, Bulgaria, pp. 168-177
- Ivanov, S., Ivanova, M. and Iankova, K. (2012) Sustainable tourism practices – mountain vs non-mountain accommodation establishments in Bulgaria. Paper presented at International Conference “Changing Paradigms in Sustainable Mountain Tourism Research: Problems and Perspectives”, 25-27 October 2012, Bressanone, Italy.
- Иванова, М. (2013). Присъединяването към хотелска верига като възможност за развитие на българските хотели. Докторска дисертация. Икономически Университет-Варна.
- Ivanov, S., & Ivanova, M. (2013). Mass ecotourism vs. Eco mass tourism.Proceedings of the Sixth Black Sea Tourism Forum, 02nd-04th October, 2013, Varna, Bulgaria, pp. 78-90.
- Ivanova, M. & Ivanov, S. (2013) Affiliation to hotel chains: individual hotel’s perspective, Paper presented at the International Conference “Management, Leadership And Innovation Towards A Better Changing World”, 8-9 November 2013, Romanian-American University, Bucharest, Romania.
- Ivanova, M. (2013) Hotel chains’ Internationalization factors, Izvestiya of the University of Economics-Varna, 1/2013, 123-135.
Иванова, М. (2013) Фактори на интернационализацията на хотелските вериги. сп. “Известия”, бр. 1, Икономически Университет-Варна, 123-135.
- Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S. and Iankova, K. (2013). Bulgarian hotels on their way towards sustainable development. THExperts, 6, 28-31.
Иванова, М., Иванов, С., Янкова, К. (2013). Българските хотели по пътя на устойчивото развитие. THExperts, 6, 28-31
- Ivanova, M. and Ivanov, S. (2014). Hotel chains’ entry mode in Bulgaria.Anatolia, 25(1), 131-135.
- Ivanov, S. and Ivanova, M. and Iankova, K. (2014). Sustainable Tourism Practices of Accommodation Establishments in Bulgaria: An Exploratory Study. Tourismos, 9(2), 175-206.
- Mamushkina, K. and Ivanova, M. (2014). Ukraine as a potential tourist destination for Bulgarian citizens: a demand side perspective. Proceedings of Scientific Conference dedicated to 145th anniversary of Bulgarian Academy of Sciences “Problems of tourism, agriculture and education”, 24th September 2014, Dobrich, Bulgaria.17-28
- Ivanova, M. (2014). Affiliation to hotel chains as a development opportunity for Bulgarian hotels. Doctoral Dissertation Summary. European Journal of Tourism Research, 7, pp. 144-147
- Ivanova, M. and Ivanov, S. (2015). The nature of hotel chains: An integrative framework. International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Administration, 16(2), 122-142
- Ivanova, M. and Ivanov, S. (2015). Affiliation to Hotel Chains: Requirements towards Hotels in Bulgaria. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 24(6), 601-608.
- Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S. and Yanev, H. (2015) Distribution channels of eco and rural guest houses in Bulgaria: a fiction or reality. Proceedings of International Conference “Eco and Rural Tourism in Bulgaria”, Bourgas, 18-19 June 2015 (pp. 162-174). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2620747
- Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S. (2015). Affiliation to hotel chains: hotels’ perspective. Tourism Management Perspectives, 16, 148-162.
- Ivanova, M. (2015). Sharing economy: Bulgarian tourist industry perspective. Proceedings of International Conference Tourism in the age of transformation held at University of Economics-Varna, 6-7 November 2015. (pp. 479-488). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2687194
- Ivanov, S. and Ivanova, M. (2016). Market penetration of hotel chains: does culture matter? Annals of Tourism Research, 57, 259-264.
- Ivanov, S. and Ivanova, M. (2016). Do hotel chains stimulate globalisation? Tourism Management Perspectives, 19, 102-108.
- Ivanov, S. and Ivanova, M. (2016). Do hotel chains improve destination’s competitiveness? Tourism Management Perspectives, 19, 74-79.
- Ivanova, M. (2016). Financial transactions within hotel supply chain. Proceedings of International Conference “Contemporary science, business and education”, 27-29 June 2016, Varna University of Management, Bulgaria, pp. 92-98.
- Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S., Magnini, V. (2016). Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management. London: Routledge.
Ivanova, M. And Rahimi, R. (2016). Nature and definition of hotel chains.In Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S., Magnini, V. (eds.) (2016). Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management. London: Routledge (pp 9-18).
Ivanov, S., Ivanova, M. (2016). The choice of type of affiliation to a chain by the individual hotel. In Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S., Magnini, V. (eds.) (2016). Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management. London: Routledge (pp. 395-405)
Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S. (2016). Hotel chains’ conceptual models. In Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S., Magnini, V. (eds.) (2016). Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management. London: Routledge (pp. 69-82).
de Souza, A., Salazar, V., de Moraes, W., Leite, Y. and Ivanova, M. (2016) Entry modes: Leasing contract. In Ivanova, M., Ivanov, S., Magnini, V. (eds.) (2016). Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management. London: Routledge (pp. 185-192).
- Ivanov, S. and Ivanova, M. (2017). Conceptualising Trans-national Hotel Chain Penetration in Bulgaria. In Derek Hall (Ed.) Tourism and Geopolitics. CABI, pp. 127-141.
- Ivanov, S., Ivanova, M. (2017). Determinants of hotel chains’ market presence in a destination – a global study. Tourism, 65(1), 7-32.
- Duglio, S., Ivanov, S., Magliano, F., Ivanova, M. (2017). Motivation, costs and benefits of the adoption of the European Ecolabel in the tourism sector: An exploratory study of Italian accommodation establishments. Izvestiya Journal of University of Economics-Varna, 61(1), 83-95.
- Ivanova, M. (2017) Air transport-tourism nexus: A destination management perspective. Varna: Zangador
- Ivanov, and Ivanova, M., (2017) Location of Hotel Groups’ Headquarters. Proceedings of the INVTUR Conference, Aveiro, Portugal, 17-19 May 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2964313
- Ivanova, M. (2017). Airlines as tourist destination promoters. Proceedings of International Scientific Conference Marketing – Experience and Perspectives held at the University of Economics-Varna, 29-30 June 2017. (pp. 677-685). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=3000910.
- Ivanova, M. (2017). Low-Cost Carriers’ Growth: Market- or Subsidies-driven. Presentation at the International Scientific Conference “Contemporary Tourism – Traditions and Innovations”, Sofia University (forthcoming).
- Ivanova, M. and Biloivanova, A. (2017). Customer service in Varna hotels: foreign tourists’ perspective. Proceedings of the Jubilee Scientific Conference “Tourism, Innovations, Strategies”, College of Tourism at the Bourgas University “Asen Zlatarov” (pp. 282-289)
- Legoherel, P., Poutier, E. & Fyall, A. (Eds.) (2013). Revenue Management for Hospitality & Tourism. Woodeaton Oxford: Goodfellow Publishers Ltd. ISBN: 978-1-908999-49-8. 255 pp. Reviewed by Maya Ivanova, European Journal of Tourism Research, 6(2), pp. 214-216
- Costa, C., Panyik, E. and Buhalis, D. (Eds.) (2013).Trends in European Tourism Planning and Organisation. Bristol: Channel View Publications. ISBN-13: 978-1-84541-410-8 (pbk). 367 p Reviewed by Maya Ivanova, European Journal of Tourism Research,7, pp. 148-150
- Book review: Lisch, R. (2014) Measuring service performance. Practical research for better quality. England: Gower Publishing Ltd. ISBN 9781472411938 (ebk-e-pub). 247 pp. Reviewed by Maya Ivanova, European Journal of Tourism Research,9, pp